Monday, December 2, 2013

PRESTIGIO MULTIPAD 4 Quantum 9.7 PMP 5297C Real Life Review

As for almost every new tablet (or any device really), I was afraid I couldn't make more words in the review than it is present in this model name. That is the main reason for this short introduction, because I never know what will I write about, or how long would I care about writing before wrapping it up, close the laptop lid, say goodbye to the computer, turn on my other computer, and watch some TV series. 

// IMPORTANT NOTE: This article is updated with new information based on the new firmware update, version 1.0.7 (see the comment section), and it is done so by using this fancy red, but not completely red, colour. 

Because the changes were so tremendous with the new firmware, new article would probably be a better idea. But then, It would mean to throw away all this healthy sarcasm. And that is never an option.

     
Prestigio Multipad 4 Quantum 9.7 5297C:
They have some seriously cool
high-tech background picture 
Did I mention this little thing which always seems to happen to me. One day (1) after buying PRESTIGIO Multipad 4 quantum 9.7 5297C tablet, PIPO has arrived to our market with its model PIPO M6 Pro, and, for the same price, it offered:

  1. Larger battery (2x5000mAh=10.000mAh instead of 8.000mAh on Prestigio)
  2. Better camera (well, at least more Mpix) with Flash (no flash on Prestigio)
  3. Embedded GPS
  4. More storage (16GB instead of 8GB on Prestigio)
  5. Better community
  6. Probably some other things
And what am I doing regarding this revelation? Looking for PIPO M6 Pro reviews and offers every day and every night, of course. And much to my great happiness and well being, it seems that PIPO M6 Pro also has some performance issues due to this high resolution display.

Main purpose of this review is to warn about and to illustrate these performance issues which make cheaper "retina" tablets painful to use at considerable amount of occasions.

// Hm yeah well.. After Prestigio firmware update, main purpose of this article is to warn about and to illustrate these performance issues with the OLD firmware and on some other tablets which did not have this kind of a kick-ass new firmware. 


I guess that the graphic processor which they are implementing in these tablets (they are all made in the same factory anyway, probably) simply cannot withstand all these pixels. And if you ask me, both manufacturers and retailers are embarrassing themselves with tablets' performances on this "retina" resolution. (// Not Prestigio 5297C anymore). Should you buy this thing? (// Probably yes.) 

Consider the following PROs and CONs from an average geek like myself, and then decide on your free will, or based on what your government is telling you to decide, it is your decision.


PRESTIGIO MULTIPAD 4 Quantum 9.7 PMP 5297C The Good

  1. It is really nice to look at nice pictures at this screen resolution at free time
  2. It is really nice to look at nice pictures at this screen resolution at working time
  3. Aluminium body sometimes feels great, and always looks great.
  4. "Leather pouch" is a nice addition. Pretty and functional.
  5. OTA (over the air) update. Which of course in 99,99% cases says, "Your tablet is up to date". But still.
  6. USB host out of ther box
  7. Nice 4:3 big, almost 10" screen.
  8. Relatively slim and light.
  9. Robust, firm construction.
  10. Okay battery (2 days with moderate use like on/off reading and surfing).
  11. Sometimes okay performance (not too many apps in background, more than 100MB free space on the system partition, not starting Chrome browser, not being too cold in the room, not being nervous and offending your tablet when using him/her)
  12. // With firmware 1.0.7, performances are very good most of the time. And just to note, Prestigio did not offer me any kind of reimbursement for this statement. Although, I am open to suggestions...
  13. // The company is listening and is reaching out to their customers, upgrading their products with new firmware releases. And that is a BIG plus. At least with this tablet; I don't have the knowledge if this is their usual politics with other products (feel free to comment on this).


PRESTIGIO MULTIPAD 4 Quantum 9.7 PMP 5297C The Bad

  1. Misleading hardware specification (Quad Core != OMG ULTRAFAST)

  2. Don't think that you can "just quickly check on something" on this tablet. Oh no nono, no, no. If Prestigio Multipad 4 Quantum 9.7 decides it's his (hers?) day of, he/she won't let you near those functions or utilities you are after. You just want to quickly google something? Yeah, well, maybe now is just a bad time to do that, you know. You need to respect Prestigio's wishes. Wait for a several minutes until something unfreezes, and than try again. Just don't yell at him (her), he/she will just freeze again.
    // It's a real shame I have to contradict this nice illustration, but with firmware 1.0.7, you can "just quickly check on something" without apologizing to your tablet, and it will respond almost immediately.

  3. 1 (one) GB memory for apps. Not even that much, actually below 1 GB. Really, Prestigio? REALLY? Quad Core, 2GB RAM, screen resolution from other dimension, aluminium grandiose, and then slapping us in the face with this ridiculous memory partitioning? Why, Prestigio? I want to know why. WHY?? I demand to know WHY!!
    // Why indeed. Firmware 1.0.7 has brought enlarged system partition, and now you have about 2GB for installing apps. Although honestly, I would feel much cozier if it would be at least 3-4 GB ... 

  4. Aluminium body sometimes gets on my nerves, slipping around, gliding through fingers, no matter how it looks, and it looks great. Don't scratch with your overgrown nails though, that could be very irritating. Oh, one more thing - I think I get slightly electrocuted every now and then when scratching on the aluminium.


  5. 7 cm long charging cable (well, slightly more, but it is damn short). Why, Prestigio? I have left a note for Santa, wanting some answers from you. Sparing on materials? How much would another few cm fall on your budget?
    // Unfortunately, Prestigio did not upgraded cable length with the new firmware. Waiting for the solution in future version 1.0.8.

  6. How the hell did Prestigio team managed to slow down performances on such kickass hardware configuration with Android 4.2 on board is a real mystery to me. I had lower hardware configuration on Google Nexus 10, and it was flying in every task, no matter how much I had put on him (her).
    // Actually, general performances with fw version 1.0.7 are now pretty close to performances of Nexus 10 in everyday use (not talking about numbers or specific apps). I have no doubt now that they could be even better with few more tweaks. Which we are expecting, of course.

  7. Lousy speaker placement (they are on the bottom when holding it vertically), it is awkward to listen audio when holding it horizontally.


  8. No notification light. Another brilliant method in budget savings? Remember this, evil designers: People like blinking.
    // Unfortunately, Prestigio did not upgraded the tablet with notification light with the new firmware. Waiting for the solution in future version 1.0.8.

  9. For everyday average use, a shameful user experience.
    // With fw v1.0.7 for everyday average use: a fluent and decent user experience.

  10. Barely passes The Toilette WiFi Test (tm). (Huawei Ascend P1 mobile phone for example passes The Toilette WiFi Test (tm) with no problem). That means: weaker WiFi reception.

  11. When there is less than 100MB free space left on the apps (system) partition (and that happens soon after installing DropBox and Angry Birds), performance is approximate to a performance of a 2-legged 230 years old turtle in a vacuum space.
    // Trying to install bunch of unneeded garbage from Play Store, but unable to replicate this problem with 1.0.7, for now. 

  12. After starting Chrome browser, performance is approximate to a performance of a 2-legged 230 years old turtle with another turtle on its back tied with a super-glue, in a vacuum space.
    // 1.0.7 injects some adrenaline into the turtle.

  13. Takes a long time to recharge via power cable (Space Petunia Review defines a "Long Time" as a period of time in which you realized that something has been going on for a long time in the past, then at some point you have forgotten about that something, and at some third point you have remembered that something has been going on, realized what was going on, and finally decided that it should have been done sooner than it has).

    Charging via USB cable takes inconceivable amount of time. I have once tried to calculate how much time has passed since putting the tablet to charge via USB cable, but I have lost consciousness in the process and found myself bleeding from my ears.

  14. If you are diagnosed with ADHD, or have any other hyperactive mind processes, stay away from this tablet.
    // I am relieved to inform you, new 1.0.7 firmware makes Prestigio Quantum 9.7 5297C formally ADHD-safe.

  15. MicroSD card is sticking out of the tablet for about 1-2mm. Not cool. Easier to pop it out of course, but still not cool. Medium warm, at least.

Should you buy 5297C? Well, if you are mostly reading things one at a time and/or patiently surfing the Internet, than yes, it is worth the price at this point of time just because of this really nice screen resolution. Hopefully future firmware updates will smoothen up the performance. But that is a long shot.

// -- A W K W A R D -- ... I stand corrected. Prestigio managed to deliver a whole new experience on this tablet with firmware release 1.0.7. I would now dare to say that this tablet is absolute best buy in the price range.

Prestigio team if you are reading this, don't get too comfortable. We expect regular firmware upgrades and improvements of your products. At least, change the fw version numbers occasionally so we feel like we are being taken care of.


If you need the device for quickly switching between tasks, or you need it as a main switching device for setting a doomsday plan in motion in specific point in time, than don't count on it to deliver you the optimal, timely doomsday performances.

// I am relieved to inform you, new 1.0.7 firmware makes Prestigio 5297C formally safe for triggering doomsday and any other apocalyptic events!

87 comments:

  1. http://www.prestigio.com/catalogue/MultiPads/Multipad_4_QUANTUM_9.7#/product-support/firmware
    please check here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this tip! With OTA, I was expecting new firmware notification on device itself, but nah, look at this:

      "No OTA update would be available."

      Release date is 04/12/2013, version 1.0.7 (My initial was 1.0.3).

      Reported change log:
      1. Performance improved
      2. Preloaded applications updated
      3. Other minor bugs solved

      I am in the process of firmware upgrade at this moment, so if I don't screw up something, I will update on the "performance improved" change log section.

      Delete
    2. New fw size is too big to deliver it to device via OTA unfortunately.
      Will wait on your test after fw update.

      Delete
    3. Holy shyte. I have been using the tablet for two days now with new firmware, and I am drastically losing my cynical writing abilities. This firmware is a tremendous change in the right direction. I will update the article with new information.

      If you don't mind me asking - are you a Prestigio employee? If you are, I salute you and your company reaching out directly to their customers like this, and I would feel obligated to buy you guys a beer.

      If you are not Prestigio employee, I would still feel obligated to buy you a beer for the tip. In any case, tnx!

      Delete
    4. I am actually, should i provide you address where to send some beer? :)

      Delete
    5. Rock n Roll. I am open for three possible solutions:

      1) I can send you the beer via mail

      2) I can deliver you the beer personally if this is a valid representation of your headquarter's environment.

      3) I can buy you a beer or seven in Croatia if you plan to visit anytime. Let me know about your decision. Cheers! :)

      Delete
    6. Hey Igor, there is new a firmware for this tablet, 1.09. Haven't installed it yet (will do it this evening).

      Send the 6 x "Crni Tomislav" to Belgrade :)

      Delete
    7. Hey, thanks for the info!

      Hahah you know your beer, don't you? Tomislav is the second strongest beer in Croatia (about 7.3% alcohol content).
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Croatia

      Preparing for shipment! :)

      Delete
    8. Something seems to be wrong with new fw 1.09 update. System keep failing to upgrade. Any tip how to install this?

      Delete
    9. @Igor - been there, done that, had the hangover.. :)
      @Nenad - I have tried couple of times and it went through

      Delete
  2. Hy everyone, I've just tried to update to the new firmware but I'm getting a message saying: unable to analize data, should I try a factory reset before update? Any sugestions would mean a lot , thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrei, I don't think you have anything to lose by a factory reset. Well, to be more precise, you will loose absolutely everything from the internal memory, but installing new firmware will also do that, so I would try it out. Feel free to post your progress.

      Delete
  3. I have bought one of these tablets but am very disapointed with its wifi reception compered with my samsung galaxy tab 2. I have tried and tried to update the firmware with no success though my win7 pc does recognise the tablet the rock usb programme does not. Any help please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you connect your tablet to your PC via USB cable and activate this rock usb app, make sure that you choose the connection option "Mass Storage" on your tablet. I tried first the default "Media Device" option, but that brought me the same problems as you are describing here. I was also using Win7 PC. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Igor, thanks for the reply but where is this connection option set?

      Delete
    3. When connected to the PC via USB cable, there should be a message on the tablet in the notification/clock area saying "Connected as a media device, touch for other USB options". Touch that message to open computer connection options, and there you should be able to choose to connect as Mass Storage.

      Delete
    4. Yes, that worked, I got the pink light finally. I had to download Release_DriverAssitant. from Geek Gadgets to get the rockchip driver to load because I had problems with win7 saying the driver was ok when it was not. But its all done now. Unfortunately the new firmware does not improve the wifi reception and the speakers are very poor indeed so after all this work I will be returning it to the supplier for a refund. Thanks again for your help.

      Delete
    5. Indeed, the wifi signal strength is below average (whatever average is), and speakers simply can't deliver. Their placement is particularly amusing. Good luck with returning it, and feel free to inform us here if you buy something better in the price range. Cheers!

      Delete
  4. the 1.0.3 verstion on it, and I don't know how much longer would I be able to hold back myself before snaping that device in 2. It's like, whenever it is 'doing' something and it gets warmer, it just restarts itself...like wtf? :) At this very moment i'm downloading the new firmware version and I'm hoping for the best. Thank you again.
    Bye, Marko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand your urges, user experience on the old firmware is worst than watching Hunger Games 2. I haven't experienced restarting though, I hope new firmware will fix that for your device as well. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Btw, Hunger games 2 kick ass :)

      Delete
  5. Does anyone have problem with microphone sound? It is awful, some scratching sounds occurs! I tried it with skype and hangout, the sound is unusable! Is there a fix for that? Tried also with headset, the same thing happens.
    I have 1.07 firmware. Everything else is running smoothly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just noticed that sound recording works fine, however in calls microphone sound is awful. And there is no setting to change in either program.

      Delete
    2. Same at me, sound is scratchy and you cant have normal skype call. I m on 1.0.7. During recording same thing, but its intensity is variable. Dont know what to do. Anyone else have similar issues?

      Delete
    3. I do have the same problem. Don't know what to do..

      Delete
    4. Ok so I contacted prestigio global service support online, they said that everything tested fine and to upgrade to 1.0.7. Which I already had, also tired reflashing, the same issue still pressent. After that they told me that they know about skype issue but hangouts and viber tested fine. Then I made a 3 movies and sent to them to show that issue is on each calling program. Also I doubt they they tested that because I cant even open hangout because it crashes before it loads, so I tested in Gtalk. After that they told they will forward the issue to developer. So lets wait and see. It is to bad for this to happen since it is top model in their offer. It would be good that more people contact them so they make some patch or firmware upgrade. Because the tablet is unusable for any type of calls. I seriously doubt that it can be skype, viber and hangout problem. :)
      Bottom line, I still think that the tablet is great everything else tested perfectly, no lags, works like a charm. However I hope that they will fix microphone issue. It is deifinitly not hardware problem since sound recording works great. Sorry for long post. :/

      Delete
    5. Thank you for this useful input and your efforts for contacting Prestigio team. I agree with you, we all should make contact with them and report these kind of bugs so they consider the problem more seriously. After all, it is also in their best interest to solve problems of their products and keep the good word about them.

      Алексей, do you have any info on this?

      Delete
    6. hello, guys. As i posted before i noticed same sound problem. I sent a mail to prestigio support service, and they answered as they know for that issue and they think it is a firmware problem. I really doubt in that. I noticed it only appeares when wifi is on, so i sent them that notice. I think there is some kind of interference between mic and wifi, but let us see if new firmware upgrade will fix it.
      Also today i had problem with sound reproducing on youtube, it was scratchy althoug sound was lowered to minimum. It was awfull.
      WE HAVE TO SEND MAILS TO PRESTIGIO AS MANY AS WE CAN!

      Delete
    7. What do you mean interference when the wifi is on, but how can you make a call and test anything when the wifi is off? Quantum 9,7" doesnt have 3g. So how did you test the Skype call with wifi off?
      And I doubt that it can be hardware problem since like i said sound recording works just fine. I am thinking that it could be interference between the speaker and microphone since during call both things must be on, but I tried to lower the volume and use headset, still the same problem persists. I still beleive that the problem is in firmware...

      Delete
    8. I can confirm every word you said :) recording the sound works just fine, but skype call does not, regardless of using headset or tablet's mic. This can lead to conclusion that the firmware can be the main cause of the problem

      Delete
    9. i tested sound recording during wifi on and off, so there is a big difference.

      Delete
    10. @ben - but sound recording with wifi and without wifi works just fine, so I dont quite understand what you are trying to say...

      Delete
    11. in my case, when i record sound during wifi on it has little scratchy effect when you replay recorded file. But if you record during wifi off then those problems dissapear.

      Delete
    12. I contacted Prestigio support and this is their answer:

      "We tested both the apps in our device and we didn't notice your problem. Please upgrade the apps to the latest version and try to connect with another wifi connection. "

      I smell BS..

      Delete
    13. Did anyone found out how to solve problem with a scrathy sound, i cant use skype at all.

      Delete
    14. I am on my 2nd Prestigio Tablet. I just today received the MultiPad 4 Quantum 9.7 2GB Ram 8GB Rom and have quite bad light bleed all over the top left corner and what appears to be a tiny chink out of the glass down near the bottom right I'm convinced its not dead pixels as I've had this before and it really doesn't look similar...Has anyone else had these problems? My 1st Prestigio was the 10.1 1GB Ram 8GB Rom and it had very bad light bleed also so got sent back. I am having no luck with these tablets which is sad as they are very nice...:-(

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can any1 please tell me what flash playe version do i use on this tablet please reply.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi everybody, I have a problem with the firmware update. The RKBatch tool not recognize the device, exactly. The win7 recognized already few weeks ago. How Can I do the update method? Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can U help me for the upgrade of the firmware? I tried everything but the rkbatch tool not recognize the device. I have no neither pink or green sign. The win 7 is recognised and recognize everytime after when I remove it from the devices and connect it again. I cant do upgrade this way! I didnt find how can I choose mass storage mode yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. make sure you click USB debugging mode on your tablet! then it will work

      Delete
  10. Hi there,

    try this:

    1. Download the firmware 1.07 from the perstigion homepage and extract the content.
    2. Check what system are you running on your PC.(win7,32,64,win8,winxp..etc)
    3. On tablet set the usb-connection-style to 'mass storage'. Settings, Memory-3 dots in the upper right corner- choose Mass storage
    4. Turn off the tablet.
    5. Connect the usb cable with PC and tablet.
    6. HOLD DOWN the (volume +) key and turn the device on(still holding the vol.+) until you get a notice(driver not successfuly installed) on your PC.
    7. Use the Manual(found in the downloaded folder) to install a proper driver. Or.: Go to Start-My Computer-Right click on it-Properties-Device Manager-Other devices-Unknown device-Update Driver- In the window browse the computer for the specific driver(that's why you need to know your systems pc)
    8. Wait untill install is complete.

    That should be it, with drivers.

    9. Run the RKBatch tool. The first 'screen' should be painted PINK. Click 'switch' and the screen should be now green. Update the tablet.
    If its not pink, something went wrong. Also if it turns green straight ahead, something went wrong. The instalation will fail(tried it by myself). BUT, you can try it anyways, if instalation fails, your Prestigio will just boot up in the old system again.

    I hope I explained it good and precize. Im also new in the Prestigion and android family.

    Please report how it goes.

    Bye, Marko

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://www.prestigio.com/catalogue/MultiPads/Multipad_4_QUANTUM_9.7?IS_AJAX_REQUEST=1&REQ_ELEMENT=ISCAT&MODE=product-support

    Thats a great site to check out for al Prestigio users.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,I'm going to buy this tablet,but I have one question: Is Google Chrome surfing performance good? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. surfing is pretty good, actually. display will blow your mind :)

      Delete
  13. Personaly I use preinstalled browser wich supports flash. I tried chrome, but for my taste, the performance is not that good as it is in the browser. I could also not figure out how to enable flash in Chrome.

    All other apps from google store installed successfuly and quick, running well.

    Overall I'd recomend buying this tablet. But if you have additional 100bucks available, I'd buy Apple mini, or if unlimited founds, standard Ipad. It runs more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Has anyone had problems connecting via bluetooth?
    I have a logitech bluetooth keyboard which connects just fine and creative wp-350 bluetooth headphones which work perfectly on my iPhone 4 but my tablet disconnects them the second I open youtube (if it happens to connect with them in the first place). Also, my wifi connection goes bad at the same time. I have a tp-link upgrading my wifi signal up to the maximum 4 bars and the second I connect the headset it goes down by 2 without me changing my location and this never happens with the keyboard. And the signal goes back up when I disconnect the headphones... I don't know why these two things should be related at all but it looks like itat least in my case... Any tips, solutions, similar experience?

    ReplyDelete
  15. When can we expect the new firmwire?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can anyone tell me what I should do as my tablet takes ages to come on when I press the on button , then when I open an app for instance it takes a good 10/15 seconds to open it then always comes up and says internet not responding... yet I can use my nexus without a problem, I only got this at Christmas and not really been able to use it as its very frustrating waiting for the apps to open.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi I just saw your review about this tablet. Well I'm quite confuse now... if to buy it or not. Today I was at the shop and noticed it was very laggy ..jumping trough apps ...would be nice if you could upload a video showing the changes with the new firmware...
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it would be impossibly nice if I would upload a video. Yes.
      ...
      But, back to reality.
      Short version: The device works like sh** with the old firmware.
      The same device works really nice with fw 1.0.7.
      Long version: the review few meters above the comments :)

      Delete
  18. Hello there! Igor thank you very much for your review. I'm also thinking about this tablet, versus the Asus MeMO Pad ME102A-1B021A. the main purpose for me as a student would be to READ pdf books, or scanned pdf books, and looking and these things could be huge file's (5-600 megabytes). (and to do some occasional basic document editing and surfing)

    In your opinion this prestigio tablet could handle the task of such big files?

    And the other thing: it does have a Retina display (which the asus does not): am I going to have a actual different experience looking at text, pdf-s at this 2048 x 1536 screen than the Asus's 1280×800?

    Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I've bought this tablet mainly for the exact reasons you listed above. In my experience, with the right software, Prestigio could handle such pdfs.

      And yes to your other question; if your vision is fairly proper, you will notice a huge difference in screen quality. I personally would not consider buying Asus in this context, because:
      1) widescreen (for me, extremely annoying when surfing/reading, or doing anything else besides watching movies, which I don't, because, well, there are 40"+ things made for that function)
      2) low screen resolution (makes the reading strenuous in a long run).

      On the other side, because of the lower resolution (and maybe some other stuff), Asus would probably perform somewhat faster than Prestigio. You would need to test both devices to know for sure. But again, how fast do you need to turn the pages on your books? :)

      Delete
  19. Hi! I am a new owner of the tablet since today. My first task was to update the firmware to 1.07. I managed to do this thanks to the internet and you guys. The instructions in the firmware upgrade are not correct. They do not mention that you should hold the + button while connecting table to a PC. Without the + button my PC (Win 7 64 bit) always recognized the table as HTC dream and RKBatchTool did not see the tablet.

    I have another Prestigio tablet 5580C duo (8' 1280 x 800) and here is a quick comparison. The screen on Quantum 9.7 is much better. I plan to use it mainly for viewing mathematical texts in PDF, larger resolution and larger screen do make a big difference here. Not that 5580C is not usable, it worked fine for me, but Quantum is much better.

    A very negative experience is that free drawing is very poor. I don't know if this is the case with my tablet only or with the model. For instance, in Sketchbook it is impossible to draw a nice small circle (2cm in diameter), it does not look much like a circle, or some handwritten text. I get the same results using fingers or a stylus. The results were poor on 5580C, but much better than on Quantum. It seems that the precision of the touch screen is not high enough for the resolution.

    I agree that the position of the speakers is not good.In particular, if you have stereo speakers, than speakers should not be on the same side of the screen. Also, if you watch a movie with both hand in landspace, then you cover the speakers with your hands.

    SD card position is also unusual and strange. I would rather have it a compartment like in 5580C so that it does not stick out of the tablet. It can happen quite easy that you accidentaly press on SD card and unmount it.

    Quantum is thinner than 5580C and it feels lighter (it probably isn't but it feels like as it is bigger). It might sound strange, but the bulkier 5580C is easier to hold and you do not have a feeling that it will slip out of your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In two different stores I checked two other Quantum 9.7 tablets, one with 1.03 and the other one with 1.07 firmware. They both have the same problems with free drawing as my tablet. Therefore I suspect that there is an error somewhere in the construction or (hopefully) a software error that could be solved with a firmware update. Can anyone else check its tablet? Just open any program for drawing and try to draw some circles (1-2 cm in diameter) slowly (if you are fast, they are ok). You will notice that the curve is not continuous and that there are some sudden jumps. Instead of a circle I get a circular shape with four corners. For another test, try to write your signature on the tablet. It is a shame that this does not work as it should, but I guess that for this price one has to make some compromises. Probably Samsung Note 2014 would do everything, but it is more than twice more expensive ..

      Delete
  20. problem with memory is always full. i can not install apps.
    How can I increase internal memory ?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Crappy device. Avoid buying it. It's slow and unstable even with the new firmware. Have to restart each day after freezing then it wont boot, have to press 10 times power button to power it. Useless with skype. Battery life is tragedy 2-3 hour if using network. Wifi coverage is very bad. Very dissapointed. Stay away from it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woooha baby ... Don't put all of them in the same basket. Just because you have a malfunctioned device, doesen't mean they all sux.

      I've bought mine, got similar problems as you have (it froze, restarted...etc). I sent it to servis and they repaired it, for free of course, replaced the motherboard and ever since the repair I am a happy man. Not a single 'auto' restart of the device, battery holds up to 2 days with semi-heavy usage.

      For 250€ I'm more than happy to have it.

      Delete
  22. Hello
    Very good review; thanks for your sincerity.
    I want to buy this tablet. The main purpose for me would be to read and underline text in documents (pdf books, scanned pdf magazines, epub books...) I have one question: with a normal use, which is the temperature of the tablet? Low, normal, high or very high.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem ;)
      From your scale, I would say that the temperature is normal.

      Delete
  23. I constantly receive an error message when I try to use the camera of my tablet PMP5297C_QUAD. It says 'cannot make a connection with camera. This only happens when I use the camera to take fotos, not when I use it for skype. What can be done?

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you want to install new firmware on w7. Please follow these steps: The steps above are not complete!

    http://www.jeroensomhorst.eu/uncategorized/prestigio-multipad_4_quantum_9-7/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello,
    Please tell me 2 things:
    - it is normal to see some thin lines on the display while closed? (Like in the backgroud - locatead at equal distances of each other)
    - is there any chance to improve wifi? I mean, I am 10 meters away from the router(classic flat with concrete walls) but still can't connect(sometimes, it's working but the speed is awful-and after a minute or two, it is disconected).
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These things doesn't seem normal to me - I don't have such problems with my device. Maybe you should consider returning /replacing.

      Delete
  26. i really like the look and feel on this tablet. and i m considering buying it. it has a few downsides but i like it. to be honest im between that one and pipo m6 pro and pipo m9 pro? which one would you suggest?please help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest that you try both Prestigio and Pipo in a local store, and decide on the one that feels better. And of course, the one that has greater warranty. But rest assured - you will regret on whatever you decide - because that is just the way our brain is screwing with us.

      Delete
  27. Just updated FW to 1.0.09. Everything works just fine. It's faster about 200%, good thing guys from Prestigio increased internal memory to 2.5 GB which is excellent! Keep up good works Prestigio and very soon you will be worth your name.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Although, battery is draining faster.

    ReplyDelete
  29. One more thing, please do something about wirelles reception. It is really poor.

    ReplyDelete
  30. really helpful article and comments. ty.

    ReplyDelete
  31. After a few days battery draining is reduced. Now it lasts almost 2 days. Now, just improve wireless reception and this will be a perfect tablet.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Maybe consider to put KitKat on our Prestigio? Also optimization of RAM would be great. Cleaner kernel...

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can't find firmware 1.0.09. Latest version on Prestigio site is 1.0.07.
    Where I can doenload vesrion 1.0.09?

    ReplyDelete
  34. just install 1.0.07 version, and then on tablet press updates and it will do the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Kristijan, are you sure you have the 4 Quantum 9.7 multipad? My OTA won't find any updates nor will my google browser ... any suggeestions?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Correction, found it, installed:-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. http://de05.dl.prestigio.com/Service_Files/TabletPC/PMP5297C_QUAD/PMP5297C_20140425_v1.0.9.zip

    ReplyDelete
  38. Come on, Prestigio guys, we are expecting an update. Give us some improvements. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Would you tell me how Quantum browse by 3G modem? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  40. You need external 3G modem USB with Sim card. Use of cable to connect it to quantum. If you're lucky, quantum will recognize it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. After my experience. . Its easily the best tablet in its price range. .make sure you update firmware. .

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have bought this tablet 2 months ago. Very disappointed at first, it was useless on firmware 1.03. I have considered to send it back to retailer. After reading this article, I gave it a second chance and after the 1.07/1.09 update it was much better, but I was still not satisfied with overall performance. I mean, specs on the paper are excellent (maybe GPU is not in the line with other components) but its performance sucks.

    So, I gave it a third chance by doing following:

    1. enabling developer rights and turning off animation settings
    2. rooting the device with Root Genius
    3. removing all crapware from device - freed almost 500MB of RAM
    4. tuning the CPU to max/declared value 1.6GHz - for some reason, default core values were from 0.3 GHz to 0.8 GHz

    Now, I am finally satisfied with its performance, it runs noticeable faster, almost as expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, tnx for this info! Will give it a shot, and you've earned yourself a couple of beers on me.

      Delete
  43. Can you give some guide how did you do that:
    3. removing all crapware from device - freed almost 500MB of RAM
    4. tuning the CPU to max/declared value 1.6GHz - for some reason, default core values were from 0.3 GHz to 0.8 GHz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to root device with Root Genius and then uninstall all the apps you do not want to have..

      Download CPU tuner (I am not sure which one, I do not have tablet with me at the moment, there is a plenty of tuner apps in the store) and tune the cpu to 1.6GHz (max value)..

      Delete
  44. it looks we can have kitkat on our tablets: http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum/crewrktablets-rk3188-entwicklung-customroms-development-croms/rom-odys-iron-omnirom-4-4-2-custom-root-firmware-20140530/

    ReplyDelete
  45. After more than a year, no update whatsoever. I've never seen such ignorant behaviour from manufacturer. They sell&forget all their products! AVOID PRESTIGIO!! PRESTIGIO NEVER AGAIN!!!!

    ReplyDelete